Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cupcakes for My Roommate's Birthday

In August, my roommate turned 28.
I decided to make him cupcakes.

Matcha green tea cupcakes.

Who knew that matcha would be so hard to find in Greenpoint!??!
Finally, I found some loose green tea and ground it into a very fine powder with our coffee grinder. Not bad results.

I used my favorite cupcake recipe - the same one in Amy Sedaris' book "I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence". But used whole wheat flour and less vanilla - as I was adding the matcha powder.

I also added matcha powder to the frosting - and a good dose of food coloring to make them a fun boy blue.

The cupcakes were dense, due to the whole wheat flour, and tasted like the could *almost* be healthy ... I took a bunch of them to meet up with friends at Enid's and they were all really pleased with them.

As for me ... perhaps cake flour next time I make matcha cupcakes. And to serve them with green tea ice cream?

Maybe someone will make cupcakes for my birthday!


Here's Ms Sedaris' Cupcake Recipe - Easily edited for your own taste:

1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups of sugar

Beat well, then add:

Add 2 large eggs
2 Teaspoons of pure vanilla
½ teaspoon of salt
2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
2 ½ cups of flour
1 ¼ cups of milk

Beat well, fill cups, and bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes. You should get 24.

Frosting

1 stick of unsalted butter
1 box of Domino confectionary sugar
¼ cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla

And you can find more Amy Sedaris Recipes, Info, Links, etc ... Here: http://amysedarisrocks.com/index.htm

No comments: